Position Category: Non-Academic
Position Title: Career Counselor
School/Department: Student Affairs
Reports To: Director of Career Services
Time: Full Time
This position will support Career Services’ charge to deliver individualized and group career counseling to CalArts students and alumni. This position will also design and deliver career-related programming including workshops, events, and speakers.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Guide students and young alumni through self-reflection, career discernment, four-year planning, and career decision making on an individual and group basis;
• Understand the needs and concerns of visual and performing arts students;
• Assist students in selecting and successfully matriculating into professional and graduate school programs;
• Help students develop application materials including resumes, cover letters, CVs, and portfolios, and conduct mock interviews;
• Advise students on job search strategy, interviewing, self-reflection, branding, social media use as it relates to job search and professional presence;
• Maintain counseling notes and report counseling statistics for Career Services;
• Develop policies around counseling students and alumni;
• Assist students in developing learning objectives for the internship program;
• Publicize information to students about new and upcoming internship and job opportunities;
• Develop and maintain educational tools, resources, and handouts for students.
• Design and deliver customized educational workshops and programs, which prepare students for occupational exploration and job search including career panels, and speakers;
• Form liaisons with programs including faculty and various student groups on campus to plan relevant career programming;
• Support the Director with a variety of large-scale programs;
• Promote outreach to various constituents to encourage the use of services programs, and career resources;
• Manage graduate school visits and employer information session programs.
• Stay abreast on legal issues impacting career services and career counseling;
• Contribute to annual reports, and gather counseling statistics;
• Serve as lead coordinator on any relevant career counseling consortia and/or associations, seminars, and conferences with peer colleges, such as the National Career Development Association.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Director.
• Demonstrated career counseling and graduate school advising experience;
• Knowledge of existing and current trends in career development theory;
• Strong skills in establishing effective working relationships with faculty and administrators;
• Strong oral and written communication skills; general administration;
• Ability to work in a small team setting demonstrating initiative and dependability;
• Ability to handle multiple tasks with ease and have the ability to independently prioritize tasks/duties;
• Must have professional demeanor, and be business-oriented with strong telephone and customer service skills;
• Well-versed in college web-based career development tools, and job/internship resources online;
• Proficient utilizing MS Office, database management software, and Internet.
• Master’s degree required with preferred academic preparation in career counseling, counseling, career development, college student personnel, or related field;
• Understanding of counseling in an arts education setting highly preferred.
• Three to five years’ previous experience counseling in a college or university setting;
• Proven experience in career programming with outreach skills targeted toward working with students of diverse communities;
• Record of innovative and creative program design within higher education, and within an arts education setting (preferred);
• Experience in the administration and interpretation of assessment instruments related to values, interests, and skills/strengths;
• Knowledge of the entry-level and visual and performing arts job market, and the use of electronic resources in the career exploration and job search process for undergraduate and graduate students.
How to Apply
This position is available beginning July 1st. If you are interested, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate in the subject line: Career Counselor in order to be considered.